Tuesday, 26 July 2016

Māori Language Week


 Tēnā koutou - hello to all

rangaranga - to weave

Today we practice:-



We are working to master our raranga (weaving) ready to lead the younger students tomorrow.

Wednesday - a day of Hāngi preparation







Does the basket fit?

Thursday - 7.15a.m. An early start for some...









The Hāngi is lifted and now we enjoy...



19 comments:

  1. My top 3 highlights

    1) I really liked the picture of myself.

    2) I really enjoyed watching the men dig the hole to place the basket in. It was also fun digging out some dirt myself because it's not often you get to dig out the back of the school and chuck dirt around

    3) EXPERIENCING THE HANGI!! Even though i wasn't at the hangi at 5:00 to watch the men prepare it, I did see the powerpoint and thought it would have been cool to watch. it was very cool seeing the food being taken out of the hole!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today was fun as we got to do Rako and eat the Hangi. The Hangi didn't at all smell nice but my favourite bit was the meat. I had to get up at 6 and come to school by 7 am because i wanted to see the fire and what it looked like up close. I stood about half a metre away from the fire because it was warm and that was a highlight. My 3 Highlights are getting up at 6 to be there at 7am and to eat food and to standing by the fire !
    Thanks to everyone who helped =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first highlight was seeing the hangi process for start to finish. it was cool being there early to see the embers being burnt and then to see the finished product. my other high light was being taught how to weave. I had always wondered how to do that so It was good to finally know how. I found it hard at first but then it became easer as I practised. my last highlight was writing all the words down on the court in chalk. it was fun to see al of the other people words that they put down. I thought this week was a really cool experience ad was a lot of fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first highlight was seeing all the preparation been down for the hangi. I also liked being at school early to see the basket with all the food in it getting put into the pit. The hangi was delicious. Another highlight was doing rako. It was really fun because I had not done that in a long time. My last highlight was writing as many words as possible in Maori using chalk, all done on the court. It was quite cool to see all the different words people had come up with. It was a great week, lots of different, fun activites to do. Thanks to everyone who helped with hangi and during the week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My 3 Highlights:

    1) Being able to finish the hungi,

    2)Helping dig the hole for the basket,

    3)And I really enjoyed the weaving however hard it was.

    I really could have picked anything that happened and I would be happy with that choice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a day!👍👍👍👍
    My first highlight was of course that God gave us the advantage of having no rain when we put it in and took it out...whoop whoop !!!!
    My second highlight was to do with rako and that I was with Mr j as my partner😀😀😀😀. And lastly that this for me the best hungi I have had. Thanks for all the helpers especially James 😄

    ReplyDelete
  8. Highlights of the hungi.

    Doing the rako today.
    Helping digging the hole.
    Eating the food.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My highlights for this week were...

    1. I really enjoyed watching the hole being dug on Wednesday morning, it was fun having a turn digging myself.

    2. I liked doing rako today, by the end of the session I was able to do rako quite well.

    3. I also loved eating the food from the hangi, it was cool knowing that we had packed this food ourselves.

    Aidan!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Highlights of Maori language week...

    1 - Being able to dig part of the Hungi since it was my first time digging part of it

    2 - When we got to come up with our own move with our partner which was really fun. This was with the rakos.

    3 - The food was better than I expected. This does mean I enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My highlights of Maori language week...

    1. Having the chance to eat a Hungi, not many people have this chance!

    2. My second highlight is doing rako because I really enjoy the beat when it is all done at the same time.

    3. Lastly I loved getting to school early to see the basket being put down.

    Overall I really loved Maori language week and would love to do it again !!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 3 highlights for me over this past week was rako, helping dig the hāngi and eating it. I enjoyed the rako because we don't do it often and I've just always loved doing it. Helping to dig the hāngi was enjoyable as well because I've never done it before and it was probably a once in a life time chance for me to help dig the pit for the basket to go in. I absolutely loved eating the hāngi it was amazingly delicious and my favourite hāngi so far! Over all I loved Māori week and I would love to do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My highlights over this week
    1.My first one was the weaving I had a lot of fun (frustration) and it was good to be the teacher for 20 mins.
    2.My 2nd one was rako that was AWESOME because we seniors haven't done rako in ages I think it was my favorite.
    3.My third highlight was the hāngi the hāngi was very very nice because this time it wasn't hot chips it was better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1. I really enjoyed being at school really early to see the hungi be put in to cook.
    2. I liked doing the weaving, also I liked helping the little ones.
    3. My last thing that I enjoyed was eating the hungi!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My favourite highlights of this week are:
    1) My first highlight was doing Rako! We haven't done it in ages!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2) My second highlight was learning how to cook a Hangi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    3) My third highlight was eating the Hangi and enjoying it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My highlights were
    1. Doing rako since I haven't done that for a long time

    2. Watching the hole for the hangi being dug

    3. Looking at the pictures of the fire from the hangi
    -Hannah H

    ReplyDelete
  18. 1. Eating, i love eating but also i liked the opportunity and experience of being able to have a Hangi.

    2. Rakos, i havent done rakos in a while so I enjoyed it and because we got to be creative with what we did with the rakos.

    3. Watching the fire at 7 am because it looked cool, and because it warmed the cold air around us.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Its looks like so much fun, I wish I was there!!

    ReplyDelete