Friday, 19 February 2016

A Rougher Day at the Beach

Today we experienced much choppier (the term used to say the wind is whipping up the water so we have rougher conditions) water and to some extent the pictures show this. 

I'd like you to comment on the following:-

  • Which picture shows the rougher conditions the best? Explain why you think this.
  • How did the beach change with the rougher conditions?
  • Write what you felt as you were waiting to catch the big waves.
  • Thinking about those feelings, what extra dangers can seas like this pose to us as we swim?
Have a great weekend and we will see you for Education Outside the Classroom (EOTC) next week. Say some prayers for great weather!






19 comments:

  1. I think the first photo is the choppiest because the waves to me the waves looked higher, and because you could see them break. I think the conditions varied over how much rain there has been, the wind conditions and what the moon was like the at the time. The rain and the wind pushes the sand seaweed and other things around, and the moon changes the tide, because the the tide and the wind work together more stuff is going to be either pulled in or pushed out. I felt pull because I think the water was pulling out to push in a wave. I also felt confident because I am a good swimmer and because I know my limits. I think some of the dangers could be floating debris, large waves knocking people over and landing on each other. People not knowing their limits and unaware people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The second photo looked the roughest because when the waves break there is lots of foam and a big splash.
    With the rougher conditions there were a lot more shells an seaweed and pebbles being washed up.
    While I was waiting for the waves I felt excited and when I swam back to shore with the waves, I could feel them tugging me into shore.
    Extra dangers in conditions like these could be standing on something under the waves, if you turned your back on the wave it could knock you off your feet, if you get out of your depth and you have no adults around, you may not have enough energy to swim back to shore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The second photo looked the roughest for me because when the waves break there's quite a bit of foam and splashes.
    The rougher conditions made more seaweed come onto the beach as well as rocks and pebbles.
    When I was waiting for the waves to come I felt excited because I found it fun catching the waves to the shore.
    The extra dangers the conditions can bring are the waves could go over your head if you are standing or you are out of you depth, or the waves pushing you off your feet so you fall over or push you into another person and you fall on top of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think the first photo looks the worst because there are more waves

    ReplyDelete
  5. it is really rough and fun

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the the first photo is the roughest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I reckon that the second photo is the roughest because the waves are very choppy.

    by Alex

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the first photo is the roughest because there are incoming waves. The big waves are fun because I like catching them and taking me to shore.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that the first photo is the roughest because the waves are bigger than in the other photos and there is more white foamy stuff because the waves are more powerful. I wasn't swimming that day but I thought it looked really cold and that the waves were quite big and powerful

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the first photo shows the roughest waves. The first picture also shows the most dangerous situation because people are out the furthest, and the waves are really rough and choppy. Catching waves is really fun, especially if the waves are very big!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that the second picture looks the roughest because the waves are splashing up on everyone. Also I find trying to catch waves very difficult, but I'm not quite sure why?

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was awesome, I found it very hard to catch a wave and swim to shore but now I know the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought the third pic was the most rough because it looked like people were about to get hit by the waves.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think they all look rough because there are waves in all of them splashing . I found catching the waves the funest and I caught some big ones and it was really fun

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think the second photo looks choppier because there are some waves that look bigger compared to the other photos because I think the other photos look calm.
    The tide went up so there was less space on the beach for us to line up.
    I kinda felt tense trying to find a good wave then timing it to catch it.
    A big wave could come when we don't expect it and push us under, then becuase of the shock you might swallow a bunch of water and find it hard to get back up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think all the pictures look the same. I can tell it is rough water though because there are waves crashing onto the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The beach was really fun and I like having to do that than doing some school work.
    My favourite thing about going to the beach was jumping and falling off the wharf.
    I liked the warm up activities but they were tiring and exhausting they were fast and coolish
    Free time was always fun because we could choose what we would do in the shallows.
    Having this awesome oportunity we learned out side the class and on the beach and water.
    This actually makes me feel more of a senior.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We had a great day at the beach with the rougher conditions.

    ReplyDelete