Thursday, 12 May 2016

Learning Self Defence


Tui has been fortunate enough to spend the day with Phil from GSW Club.
His warm up was a series of stretches and then we played the cool game of knee tag.

Next we learnt how to have a strong posture.


We learnt that a strong base helps us from being pushed or pulled.

We then learnt techniques to help us escape.

After break it was time to learn the technical "get up."


Defend myself by "using my voice." This means I need to also use a frame as I attempt to fend off the attacker and yell stop.
We have our framework so now we need to learn how to cope when we are taken by surprise.


After lunch we learnt what to do when we are attacked from behind


Thanks Phil for some amazing learningπŸ˜„
Please comment on what you have learnt. Talk about techniques that really clicked with you; what the philosophy of Brazilian Jiujitsu is; what you thought of the learning for the day; what Phil meant by creating a frame; a break fall etc

18 comments:

  1. Today was really fun and I leant lots. I am now more aware of what is around me and what I have to watch out for. What Phil taught us today is a really good life lesson to have because you know have to protect yourself. Everything Phil told us and taught us are things that I had never learnt before. Thank you to the school for paying for it, it was really fun and good stuff that we need to know. Thanks Phil for coming in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today was awesome I learnt a lot. My favourite thing was how to get free from people trying to get you into their car. I also enjoyed playing knee tag it was so much fun. I recommend it for seven and up. There were a few accidents and lots of helpful demonstrations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today was so fun. I learnt how many different things you can do to get yourself out of danger. It is really important to have that skill (to protect yourself) in case you are in a bad situation and need to get out of it. Phil taught us so many different techniques to keep ourselves safe and what to do when someone is grabbing on to you or pulling, pushing you. I really enjoyed all of it! Thanks Phil and the teachers who organised it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today I learnt self defence from Phil, it was awesome! I learnt how to defend myself in lots of different situations, such as being attacked from behind unexpectedly. Overall, I had an amazing time learning self defence and I now know how to defend myself better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today has been the best day of the term so far. I have learnt so much over today and I have already showed my family half the skills. My favourite trick was the one where you push your elbow out and you can get out off a hand lock. This comes in handy when you are grabbed but you can just roll out of it without using any energy. Thanks to this lesson now every stranger is sure not going to mess with any of the St Anthony's kids. Thank you so much to the staff and Phil for organising a great event for everyone. THANKS!!!!

    By Maiti - sorry it says Aidan, I need to change it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today was great I learnt so much and I am now prepared for anything ! I learnt how if someone has got you in a wristlock all you do is put you elbows forward and they then lose there grip on you get out of there but if you can avoid it all together then do so . Thanks so much Phil your self defense moves are awesome and super helpful. What a great day!πŸ˜†

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a amazing day learning Brazilian Jujitsu. He showed us how to defend ourselves if we were attacked in front of us or even behind us. He told us to scream of even get things in the way of us and them. My favourite thing today was when the guy behind us and lift his leg up and make him fall over.
    Thanks to this lesson now every stranger is sure not going to mess with me or any one who was at that lesson.
    Thanks so much Phil and Mrs J
    : ) #_#

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doing Brazilian Jujitsu was a amazing experience. I know now how to defend my self. My favorite thing was when we did the thing on the wrists.
    Thank you so Phil the lesson was amazing πŸ˜„

    ReplyDelete
  9. Today was AWESOME!!!! I learnt tons of things but my favorite part was well let me think all of it espially the AWESOME teacher Phill. Thank you Phill for coming to teach us Brizilian jujutsu it was a blast. ������

    ReplyDelete
  10. Today was AMAZING. Thank you Phil for teaching us Brazilian Jujitsu. I can now defend myself. I hope you are able to come back and teach us more skills.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Today was really cool learning Brizilian Jujutsu because I had really wanted to learn self defence for a long time. I learn so much and had fun at the same time. But my favourite thing that we learnt was being able to get out of a situation if you are attacked from behind, that was really clever. Also thanks Phill for teaching us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Today was an amazing experience! I learnt that when someone grabs you there is always a weak spot in their grip and that there are easy ways to get out of it. I also learnt that it is important to be aware of what is going on around you so you can avoid tricky situations, but also to know what to do when it can't be avoided. Brazilian jujitsu was originated in Japan (where the word jujitsu comes from) and it involves technique, awareness and skills. My favourite part was when we learnt what to do when you are caught from behind. You have to put your legs wide apart, bend down and grab the captor's leg around the heel, pull it up and lift your chest up. The most helpful skill was when someone grips your wrist you have to twist your thumb up and push your elbow toward. I also liked learning the technical get up and that to make a barrier between you and your opponent using a solid object or your voice. You look them in the eye and say stop really loud so someone can hear you. I really enjoyed learning self defense and I hope I can learn more. Thank you so much Phill for teaching us and thanks to the teachers for organising it!😺😊

    ReplyDelete
  13. Today was such an amazing experience because I have always wanted to do something like that and it was just like I expected. I learnt that Brazilian Jujistsu is based around trying to get out of situations rather than fighting in a situation, it is made out of brains rather than brawl. The other thing I learnt about it was that it originated from the original Jujistsu that was made in Japan when some Brazilians were traveling to Japan. I learnt that there is always a weak spot in someone's grip, whether it is by moving your arms so they are in an odd position to hold or ducking or even just not getting caught in the first place! My favorite part was when you had to defend yourself from getting caught from behind by putting your hands on the ground, keeping a good balance with your feet wide apart then grabbing their ankle and pulling it up so they fall to the ground. Overall this was an amazing experience and I wish I could do it again but than,you so much school for organizing it and Phil for coming to teach us 😁

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love doing the self defence because it was so fun and because I now know how to defend myself agents some trying to hurt me. We leant how to break our hands free and how to get up with out turning away and how to get your self free if some one takes you from behind and other things over all I REALLY loved it

    ReplyDelete
  15. Today was awesome!! I learnt what to do when somebody grabs you and wants to drag you somewhere. We learnt how to brake ourselves free from somebody that's trying to harm you, we also learnt what to do when somebody grabs you from behind. Apart from being kicked in the area twice today was really incredible:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yesterday was an awesome day because of how fun self defence when I thought it was going to be boring. one of my favourite things was the jumping game, where you the first jump he has to say 1! But if he says 2 or go you have to start from the beginning! (Dallas and I made it in two and I coulc believe that u got out of being hold so easily. It was very Awesome! from Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yesterday was such an amazing experience! I leant that Brazilan jujutsu is more about getting out of double rather than hurting or fighting the other person. I also learnt about base and where it is and how it's different if someone is pulling you or pushing. My favourite part was when someone grabs you from behind. You have to your legs wide apart like Sumo wrestlers, bend down, grab the attackers heel and pull it up so they would fall over. I also like doing the fake fall when we fell backwards and had to slam our hand and arm on the ground. The most helpful skill I found was when someone grabs your wrist either one or two how to get out of it easily instead of struggling. I also found the technical get up very helpful for getting up easily while keeping you eye on the person. I really enjoyed the self defence lesson immensely and I would do it again any time. Thanks to Phil for teaching us and thanks to the teachers for organising it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This was such an amazing experience. I thought that the most useful technic was how to get someone off of you when they grab you from behind. I think that that was the most useful technic because if they grab you from behind they can take you anywhere.

    ReplyDelete